A Chinese tourist choked to while drinking wine and eating his favourite dish of boiled chicken’s feet.
Gu Wei, 31, arrived at the restaurant in Pattaya with six friends who all ordered rice and chicken with basil leaves.
They also asked for an empty plate to dish out the Asian delicacy of whole chicken’s feet which they had bought at a street food stand outside. Gu was also drinking Jacob’s Creek Classic Chardonay.
But mid-way through the meal Gu started choking after accidentally swallowing the bird’s heel. His frantic friends tried to help but could not dislodge the foot from his windpipe.
They are not believed to have attempted the correct procedure – the Heimlich manoeuvre – which is the best known technique for removing objects blocking airways.
The restaurant’s staff rushed over to help and began attempting resuscitation on the holidaymakers after he had passed out on the floor.
Zhang, another of the group, told rescuers that ”everybody panicked” and tried to help their friend but they ”didn’t know what to do”.
He said: ”Gu was eating chicken feet. He was laughing and very happy. He had wine and his favourite food.
”Then he started to make noises and then he had seizures. I did not know what to do, we called for help from the waitress.”
Paramedics from the Sawang Boriboon foundation arrived and found Gu unresponsive. He was rushed to the nearest hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after at approximately 3pm local time.
A spokesman said: ”When the team arrived the Chinese tourist was unconscious and not breathing. His friends were standing by the side. They were panicking and very distressed.
”Staff used a respirator and first aid equipment but he did not respond. He was pronounced dead in hospital in Bang Lamung. The cause of death is expected to be the food that was stuck in his throat when his was eating the chicken’s feet.”
The Heimlich manoeuvre is a first aid technique, used to clear the airways of choking victims, which involves a series of short, sharp upward thrusts on the abdomen.