A man was killed by a wild PYTHON after he caught it at the weekend and kept it as a pet – in a glass JAR.
Sawan Tabklai, 55, snared the three-metre long serpent as it slithered around his family home in Sukothai province, Thailand, on Saturday morning.
He crammed it into a large glass jar – but the snake had became severely ‘’hungry’’ by the time he checked on yesterday night at 5pm.
The furious python leapt out of the opening of the jar at Sawan’s HEAD and bit his arm. It then wrapped itself around the man’s neck as he screamed for help.
Sawan’s Pilada Tabklai, 63, rushed down to the horrifying scene of her brother being suffocated by the snake. She battled to free him without success and called the emergency services.
But they arrived too late and Lek was already dead. They caught the snake and crammed it into a sack to be destroyed.
Sawang said: ‘’I don’t know why my younger brother was keeping the snake. He found it three or four days ago and put it in a jar at the home.
‘’I heard him shouting and saw he had been bitten by the snake. It was coiled around his body and I couldn’t get it off.”
Police Lieutenant Colonel Surapong Salasit from the Kong Krailat district police station said the cause of death was strangulation.
He said: ‘’Officers arrived and found the 55-year-old man already dead under the house. He was not wearing a short and had black trousers on.
‘’There were snake bite marks around his left hand and his neck was red like a severe band mark. The doctor performed an autopsy and the cause of death was due to lack of oxygen.
‘’The python was three and a half metres long and strangled him until he died. Neighbours and rescue workers helped to put it in the bag.
‘’We presume it was caused by a combination of the python’s wild instincts and that it was hungry.’’